Monday, February 22, 2010

Safari Formal Saturday

As we say at IHP, "Safari Formal" is not just a dress code, it's a lifestyle. On Saturday, the group got the chance to actually go on a safari and whip out the khaki shorts, forest green tops, and tevas we've all had stored away deep in our suitcases. We set out for this adventure at 6am, but by the time the vans made it to the safari starting point in Kruger National Park, it was already 10am - not because the park was far away, but because we kept having to wait for herds of elephants to cross the road! The trip seemed like a safari in itself, as do most of our commutes to and from the Wildlife College for classes. On this particular day, the weather was a little cooler, giving us brief relief from the 90 degree days of the past week. In the morning, it rained for a short while. I never knew it was possible for it to rain AND be sunny at the same time. The result was the most beautiful rainbow I had ever seen! It was actually a double rainbow that arched completely across the sky like a bridge, where I could see both the beginning and ending points (Unfortunately, no sighting of a pot of gold...). It was a great start to the day!
On the actual safari, I was surprised to see one of my host sisters, Motswari, as one of the guides! She left for school the first weekend after I arrived at my homestay family's house. Apparently, she is interning at Kruger and she helped our group arrange to have a FREE safari (when most cost close to $100). I saw so many animals up close! It was my first time seeing hippos, although, they were mostly submerged in the river, and lions! Still, I was disappointed not to see a rhino. Supposedly, they are extremely rare to see on safaris. My favorite moment on the safari was seeing a family of baboons. The mother baboon was going about her routine as usual, with a little baby baboon on her back!

After two hours of driving around the beautiful African landscape, we held our own braai (aka barbeque) in the park. We cooked vegetables, chicken, sausage, and even impala (which we had just seen running around while on the safari...). As we prepared the meal, a friendly elephant came VERY close to the tiny fence that separates us from the wild. I felt quite small in comparison to his size and I was really hoping he wouldn't try to get any closer!All in all, it was a great outing! I spent the rest of the weekend writing two papers for a total of 19 handwritten pages. Ouch, my hand is tired! This morning, after two class periods at the wildlife college and time to work on my case study, I am thinking about how quickly my time in South Africa has passed. I would happily stay here longer! Tonight will be my last night sleeping at my host family's house. There will be a farewell braai with all the families and then I will pack my things. It will also be my last bucket shower, at least until I get to Vietnam. I look forward to taking a real shower over vacation, even though I have grown to love my bucket bath. Then, I depart for Johannesburg where everyone will disperse across the country for their Spring Break travels. It will be a sad farewell, but I am already getting excited about vacation and then, the prospects in Hanoi!

1 comment:

  1. WOW! How fun to go on a safari. I guess it taught you about So African time alright! I'm sad that you will be leaving your family...I like that you are learning to cook and haul water...:)...have a great vacation and post lots of pics.

    ReplyDelete