Friday, February 5, 2010

Bushbuckridge Begins!

The nine hour bus ride to the Southern African Wildlife College in Kruger National Park was both exhausting and exhilarating! I watched the landscape change from the city of Johannesburg to agricultural areas that reminded me of California to the Drakensburg mountain range and finally, to the beautiful safari-like land that has come to define Africa. The land seems to extend forever! I am convinced that I am in the most beautiful place in the world.

The group is staying at SAWC for two nights as we adjust to life in the region of Bushbuckridge, South Africa. On our drive, I saw an elephant on the side of the road. The elephant had crashed through the fence that protects the roadway just so he could get to one, delicious-looking tree! I was so excited to see the wildlife, that is, until the ranger at the college gave us an "orientation" which consisted of listing off everything that can either poison us or eat us alive. I am still looking forward to seeing zebras and giraffes, but I have to say, hearing the lions roaring outside my bedroom window each night has not been the most settling experience...

For two nights, I am rooming with Swati in the dorms at SAWC before we prepare to meet our homestay families. Later this afternoon we will have a welcome braai (so many braais!) and be paired with our families. I already know that I will be living with a primary school teacher and her four children (although, her children are all in their twenties!). I can't wait to meet them! I was already informally introduced to Thema, my host sister, because she is coordinating the homestays in Bushbuckridge for IHP.

Everyday we have been eating delicious South African food - mainly squash, cooked vegetables, spicy sauces, beans, pap (it looks like mashed potatoes, but it is made of corn and has an interesting texture), and SO MUCH MEAT! Chicken is the main staple here, but we've also eaten plenty of beef and lamb. Yesterday morning I got a huge scoop of chicken livers on my plate right next to my scrambled eggs. Needless to say, I didn't brave the livers, but for lunch that day I was courageous and tasted chicken gizzard! I'm really proud of that, but I can't say I'll eat it again...

Well, I'm off to meet my homestay family! Thankfully, I have more regular internet access now that I'll be coming to school here at SAWC everyday. But, I'll be commuting from the village from now on. And who knows what I'll run into on my way - hopefully there won't be any encounters with lions!

2 comments:

  1. I am seeing you trip in my mind's eye...via you great posts. Can't wait to hear about the next step in your adventure. Take care, Mary Camarata

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Caitlin! It sounds as if you are having an amazing time and we are really enjoying reading about your adventures. Take care and keep writing; your blog will make a great book when you get back!
    Lynn, Michael & Cole Young

    ReplyDelete