Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The "L" Word in DC

The "L" word. I'm not talking about that famous four-letter word often equated with Valentine's Day. Instead, I am referring to one of the most cringe-worthy words ever to appear in Capitol Hill vocabulary. If you're looking for a nicer way to put it, you might rely on synonyms like "advocate" or "supporter." But, I now feel comfortable using the dreaded "L" word - lobbyist. I realized that there are indeed 'good guys' who lobby for worthy causes in our nation's capitol. In a final culmination of my two-week stay in Washington DC, I had the opportunity to have the ear of policymakers as I lobbied for global women's health issues. But, in order to fully express my brief rendezvous with the world of politics, I need to rewind to two weeks ago, at the start of my study abroad program.

I began my abroad program in a more familiar setting than most. In fact, I had already spent a good amount of time in this city. Because of this, I experienced relatively little culture shock - beyond the fact that I had to adjust to living virtually without any personal space. There are 34 students in my IHP program and we all eat, sleep, and attend classes in the same miniscule Quaker hostel. Besides a noticeable shortage of bathrooms (29 girls to 2 bathrooms - not an ideal ratio!), the accommodations were nice and conveniently located just a few blocks behind the capitol building.

The arc of our program began with a service project on Martin Luther King Jr. Day. My group headed to a transitional housing center for youth. I expected to do glamorous work, like painting walls or building a fence. But instead, my assignment was to alphabetize the bookshelves and organize closets. For me, it is a personal challenge to stay neat and keep a tidy room, so doing this project felt like a true personal sacrifice. Upon reflection, I believe that this is indeed one of the most valuable kinds of service work.

Our goal for the next portion of the program was to identify the difference between social service and social change. But, public health goals could not be accomplished without both. We heard lectures by guest speakers from places such as the Center for Global Development, the Urban Policy Institute (where we heard an incredible lecture on the current health care legislation), MetroTeen AIDS, So Others Might Eat (SOME), and the World Bank. One day was specifically geared toward NGO visits. My group visited the Human Rights Campaign and WEAVE Inc (Women Empowered Against Violence), where we interviewed people to learn about the history, struggles, and future trajectory of the organizations. Coincedentally, on NGO day, I spent my free afternoon visiting Liz at the LIFT National Office. She gave me a guided tour of the office. It was wonderful seeing the center of operations for LIFT - now I have a better sense of how things work at the top!

I spent my other free time (which was very, very limited - the program kept us quite busy!) seeing friends in DC. Some of those friends even came to visit from far away places like Boston! I got to see Andrew, Mike, and Ben, along with a few others. It was good to get a taste of Tufts life during my second week in DC - it came at the perfect timing, just as I was starting to miss it!
When I originally arrived in DC, I was acutely aware that I had not yet begun the true "abroad" experience. I viewed my purpose there as analyzing the "known" and the "familiar" in order to create a base-comparison for what I will see and learn in South Africa, Vietnam, and Brazil. But, I soon discovered that DC is as unique, as exciting, and as afflicted with struggles as any of the three countries I will be visiting this semester. One guest lecturer, with somewhat morbid humor, told us, "DC does not stand for District of Columbia, it stands for 'Developing Country.'" What he meant was, that there are pressing needs in the city that remain unserved and ignored. His statement is accurately reflected in statistics that place DC below Uganda for having the largest percentage of the population infected with HIV/AIDS. In fact, in every subway car during rush hour, there is at least one person with HIV/AIDS. This was a shocking revelation to me. In my "Health, Culture, and Community" class, we watched a film about the HIV/AIDS movement directed by one of our faculty members (Shanti). We were even joined by AIDS activists from the 1980s who were featured in the film. By asking the panel a series of questions, I more fully understand the challenges associated with this issue - much of the struggles having to do with government policy. For this reason, it is important to learn to engage with policymakers in order to create social change.

On the morning of my lobbying experience, I got dressed in business clothes and studied the text of the bill I would be discussing - The International Protecting Girls by Preventing Child Marraige Act. This act would let the US analyze its current programming abroad and redistribute money to the programs that work best. The idea is that early marraige leads to health problems for women, can result in domestic abuse, and prevents girls from completing the education. Essentially, girls have no chance of breaking the cycle of poverty unless they are given educational opportunities. I lobbied for the bill with four California legislators - Rep. Brian Bilbray, Sen. Diane Feinstein, and Rep. Radanavich (from Fresno). I was accompanied by Amaka, Thuy Ann, and Francis. We are the only Californians on the trip, so we were able to see our own representatives.
Brian Bilbray's office was covered in photos of southern California - I have to admit, it made me a little homesick for a moment! When we sat down with the office staff member, he seemed to have a pre-determined opinion on whether or not (NOT) Bilbray was going to support the bill. But, after a little name-dropping and a bit of persuasion, I could tell that he was warming up to the idea. I have to say, I thought we were pretty darn convincing! Who knows, maybe Bilbray will end up co-sponsoring the bill!

Coming out of the meeting, I felt incredibly empowered. I loved the feeling of having spoken on behalf of something that could potentially improve the lives of women around the globe. The other meetings went in a similar manner (but, Sen. Feinstein was already a sponsor of the bill - all we had to do was thank her!). My favorite part of the day was simply walking around the Senate Building and looking important. I ate lunch at the cafeteria and marveled about how I was rubbing elbows with many important decision-makers. I even said hello to Sen. Barbara Boxer. The craziest moment was when I walked past the elevators and saw my friend Maddie! That was a pleasant surprise!

All in all, I can't wait to return to DC. I have literally fallen in the "L" word (LOVE) with this city! Maybe summer 2010...?

No comments:

Post a Comment