Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Farewell to Bushbuckridge

Last night, our farewell braai was filled with spirit and energy. Traditional dancers performed for us, and really got the crowd up and moving! By the end of their set, everyone had grabbed the hand of their host siblings or parents and were out on the dance floor! By the time we managed to sit down to eat, it was already past dark. A surprise rainstorm caught us in the middle of our festivities, but it definitely did not dampen the mood (though, it did make our rice a little soggy). In fact, rain is a huge blessing for the Bushbuckridge area, which is always fighting the potential for drought. The available natural resources of the area cannot support the growing population. Bushbuckridge was originally established by the Apartheid government as a resettlement area for black South Africans. For this reason, the inorganic formation of the community has taken a harsh and unexpected toll on the land over the past few decades. Water is something I've been trying hard to conserve since I've been here. If there is one thing I can recommend to water-conscious San Diegans, it is to take bucket baths and to wash your clothes by hand. Imagine, if everyone only used one liter to bathe, rather than twenty gallons for a five minute shower!

After the braai, we traveled back to our homestays for one last night's sleep! We were all so exhausted from the long day, but instead of sleeping, my host mom insisted that we eat a SECOND dinner (she says it is tradition). I was so full at this point, but I decided to enjoy her delicious cooking for one last meal. Toward the end of our meal, she brought out a cake and gave each of us blue patterned cloths. These cloths are traditionally worn by women and can be creatively fashioned into all styles of dresses or skirts. In the picture below, My, Amaka, and I demonstrate its many versitile uses while posing with our host sisters! Notice the beautiful pattern of the fabric and the giant picture of a crocadile in the middle!

Our final farewells were said this morning as we rushed out the door with our suitcases, trying to catch the van in time. But, we made sure to exchange phone numbers and mailing addresses. Also, I am sure facebook will play a role in keeping us connected. I have begun brewing ideas about ways to get myself back to Bushbuckridge. I don't know when or how exactly, but I'm sure it will happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment