Friday, April 2, 2010

On a Boat



Ha Long Bay is literally a natural wonder of the world. With over 600 rock islands piercing above the bay's surface, it's like a labyrinth just waiting to be explored. I spent last weekend viewing these giant formations from the deck of a boat! Life on a boat, as we all know from the infamous SNL song, is glamorous, and this was no exception! We were served delicious, 10-course meals and slept in sizeable rooms with our own private bathrooms. I am very excited to report that I tried every type of seafood that was served, including prawns, crab, squid, fish, oysters, and more! (This is not an April Fool's joke...).


While I was there, the weather was slightly foggy and cold, giving the scenery and extra sense of mystery. The water is a torquoise color, unlike I have ever seen before. One of the highlights of my abroad trip thus far was getting to kayak! Cate and I found our way into a cave on our kayak. The cave opened up unto a large cove. It was so peaceful inside, I have never seen anything so beautiful! I wish I had been brave enough to bring my camera on the kayaking excursion so I could have something to show. Basically, once on the other side of the cave-bridge and into the cove, it felt like you were completely enclosed on all sides by the sheer, towering rocks. A family of monkies played in the vines. I just wanted to sit in the middle of the water and let the sun shine down on us. After leaving this secret cove, we ventured out and about through the maze of islands. We found a small opening in one rock formation and we managed to manuever through it to the other side! Despite all of these water-filled adventures, we did manage to get on land. Our boat took us to a cave that reminded me a lot of Carlsbad Caverns. It wasn't quite as big or as well preserved, but the stalagtites and stalagmites inside the cavern were beautiful. It was a lot of fun to get out and do some hiking after being caught up in city life in Hanoi for so long.


Back on the boat, after our elaborate meals, I had the time of my life singing karaoke! Karaoke is a huge deal in Vietnam. There are karaoke bars on every street in Hanoi, but this was the only time we could find a place that had songs in English. Imagine how hard it would be to simultaneously make up a tune AND try to read in Vietnamese...

It seemed like we had to leave so soon after we arrived, but all of my classmates and I had to get to our next destination - our rural homestay in Mai Chau Valley!

(Go NESCACs! All the students in my program who go to a NESCAC school)

(Holding on for dear life!! )

No comments:

Post a Comment