Friday, April 2, 2010

Does the Easter Bunny come to Vietnam?



On Monday, all of IHP loaded into a bus and traveled to Mai Chau Valley. I had originally expected that we'd be divided into individual homestays, but when we arrived, it turned out that we'd all be living together in one large stilt house! The stilt houses are traditional for the White Thai minority tribe. We had one local family hosting us, but they lived in a home adjacent to the one where we were staying. Some good advice: when you are in a stilt house, don't look down! It is easy to look between the cracks in the straw floor and get a little nervous of heights...


All 34 of us slept on mats on the ground inside the one-roomed home. We ate our meals underneath the house and held class in a separate building elsewhere in the village. The classroom had the most beautiful view of the rice paddies in the valley and the mountains surrounding us. Many times, our group discussions would be interupted by the mooing of a cow or the heavy footsteps of a buffalo! Unfortunately, as our time in Vietnam comes to a close, our workload gets heavier and heavier. I spent more time that I would have wanted working on the many written assignments that were due. But, I was able to get out once and a while. I took walks around the mountains and even climbed up 1266 stairs (someone counted) to reach a cave at the top. I wish I had the appropriate gear to go splunking! Instead, I only explored the entrance of the cave, but I hear from other friends that it actually keeps going deeper and deeper. Some IHPers even had to turn back after a while because it just never ended!


My absolute favorite part of the week was when we rented bikes and explored the village and surrounding mountains. Cate, Masha, and I went all around town on our bikes. It was beautiful, warm, and sunny in Mai Chau the whole time. We followed the road until we had left the village, then we rode through more rice paddies until we came upon another, more isolated town. It was such an amazing ride!


The time I spent in Mai Chau Valley was incredible. I didn't want to leave! On our last night, a farewell party was thrown for us where we ate a large meal, drank traditional rice wine through bamboo straws, and talked around a bonfire. Now, I am back in Hanoi and beginning to figure out HOW I am going to pack for the flight to Brazil. There is a 40 pound weight limit for one bag - it's going to be a miracle if I can make that happen!

Last night, I attended another farewell dinner, this time with my host family. The dinner took place at a famous restaurant in Hanoi. The food was laid out in a buffet style and featured everything from Japanese sushi to traditional Vietnamese food to pizza and spaghetti. It was a great celebration!



After attending a lovely Easter mass this morning, I am getting ready to embark on the final leg of my trip! I'll be on a plane for 24 hours, not including a three hour layover in Paris, France. I think this means I technically will be on FIVE continents this semester...

Brazil, here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment